Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters
  • Reply to topic

SOLVED: Installer wants to format /home partition

davecs

SOLVED: Installer wants to format /home partition Empty SOLVED: Installer wants to format /home partition

Post by davecs 14th May 2024, 3:45 pm

I want to install PCLinuxOS Debian Plasma edition on a spare partition, but with a shared /home partition. The problem is that as soon as I assign a partition as /home, the installer tells me that it will be formatted, so I have to back out at that point. Only the root / partition should be formatted. Not the /home partition. One of the purposes of having a separate /home partition is so that you can re-install your system but keep your personal settings, so it's important that the partition you declare as /home is not formatted — unless you ask for it to be (i.e., a first install).

Last edited by davecs on 16th May 2024, 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Upgreyed
Upgreyed
Admin

SOLVED: Installer wants to format /home partition Empty Re: SOLVED: Installer wants to format /home partition

Post by Upgreyed 14th May 2024, 4:33 pm

Are you using the manual installation option to create only a / only install and leaving out your /home partition?
It will create a / partition separate from the /home you have already if your /home is on a separate partition.

Of course you can always copy over your /home to your new home but some ~/.config files might cause a problem
from your existing /home if it is from another OS install. I suggest you practice a install test on Gnome Boxes or some other
VM to get the hang of things.Cool

Last edited by Upgreyed on 14th May 2024, 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
davecs

SOLVED: Installer wants to format /home partition Empty Re: SOLVED: Installer wants to format /home partition

Post by davecs 14th May 2024, 5:41 pm

If I install without declaring my home partition as /home, can I log into a desktop as root to sort everything out? If not, it will be difficult to move everything over.

Another point: Suppose a new user installs with / and /home, then after a while they want to re-install, their settings will be destroyed. There should be a facility to declare /home at the time of installation but not format it. Every other distro I've ever tried does this, including the "normal" PCLinuxOS.
Upgreyed
Upgreyed
Admin

Post by Upgreyed 14th May 2024, 8:16 pm

On the "Partitioning" page, double-click the partition NOT to be formatted. Then, in the drop-down field next to "Format as:", select an empty entry and click "OK":

You should always backup your /home just in case something goes wrong.
Once you have your new install the way you like it. Use Timeshift to ensure if something goes wrong you can fix your install in just a few minutes.Wink
nobody
nobody

Post by nobody 15th May 2024, 10:11 am

It is a dangerous bug. That can avoid when adding /home partition after installation by editing /etc/fstab file and then creating new $HOME directory to the new  /home partition. Also privileges must change from root to user
davecs

Post by davecs 16th May 2024, 3:16 pm

All OK now. I downloaded a later version and now it seems to work correctly. I was able to install PCLinuxOS Debian Plasma without erasing my /home partition. Using /usr/sbin/adduser I was able to create an account for myself with UID=1000 and GID=1000, which I think is important because I still want to access to data used by the other Linuxes on my hard drive. Now I have that basic setup as I like it, I can spend some time with it over the coming days.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is 29th June 2024, 7:52 am