Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters
  • Reply to topic

another new install

antigramp

another new install Empty another new install

Post by antigramp 26th June 2024, 6:23 am

G'day. This was a pleasant surprise the other day, to see a new PCLinuxOS based on Debian. I've been fond of Debian for at least 15 years, until the PTB went init-selfdestruct. PCLinuxOS has also been a favourite of mine over the years for its rolling release model, excellent hardware recognition, and smooth and sensible operation.

I'm just making a quick post to outline my experiences with today's install, from the XFCE ISO. Straightforward enough new installer, though I needed a couple of goes to select EXT2 for the root filesystem (very old SSD on my test system). Installed an XFCE desktop like many others, with some of my favourite customisations already in place. Excellent!

A typical and good set of apps. Some new things like Nuclear, quite impressive, and Hypnotix, needs some detailed configuration, and the highly rated Timeshift, needs a closer look.
Mercury would not start, gave the message /usr/bin/mercury-browser: line 69: 16698 Illegal instruction     /usr/lib/mercury/mercury $MERCURY_USER_FLAGS
That's OK, I don't mind Firefox-ESR.
The Printer Installer wasn't helpful, very 20th-century with lots of obsolete printers, nothing for my printer, and nothing for the very popular Airprint class.

Otherwise, looking good! Another class PCLinuxOS act!

Note: for completeness, let me say I've been using MX for the past few years.
tbs
tbs

another new install Empty Re: another new install

Post by tbs 26th June 2024, 7:53 am

antigramp wrote:
Straightforward enough new installer, though I needed a couple of goes to select EXT2 for the root filesystem (very old SSD on my test system).

Hi and welcome, antigramp 🙂

Just keep in mind that beginning with kernel v. 6.9, EXT2 won't be supported anymore.

See here: The Journey of Linux’s ext2 Filesystem Comes to an End/
nobody
nobody

Post by nobody 26th June 2024, 10:22 am

Upgreyed
Upgreyed
Admin

Post by Upgreyed 26th June 2024, 10:25 am

Welcome to the forum!

antigramp wrote:
Mercury would not start, gave the message /usr/bin/mercury-browser: line 69: 16698 Illegal instruction     /usr/lib/mercury/mercury $MERCURY_USER_FLAGS
That's OK, I don't mind Firefox-ESR.
The Printer Installer wasn't helpful, very 20th-century with lots of obsolete printers, nothing for my printer, and nothing for the very popular Airprint class.
The lastest iso of XFCE, Firefox is included by default as Mercury doesn't play well xdg-open with XFCE or some older systems. It would open the Mercury homepage
and not the actual link you give it. The printer installer has an option to use the manufacture's driver if the repo drivers don't work out for you. Wink
antigramp

Post by antigramp 26th June 2024, 7:37 pm

Yes thanks, I've heard about the impending demise of ext2. This is just on my test machine, and by the time it matters, I will have figured out how to turn off the journal of ext4 (which is a far better filesystem overall).

My printer doesn't use "a" driver, it has a shell-script installer which supplies a number of moving parts   jocolor   and it's 32-bit, looking at you Brother...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is 29th June 2024, 6:00 am