Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters
  • Reply to topic

Diodon installed but simple update notifier automatically installed clipit as well!

davecs

Diodon installed but simple update notifier automatically installed clipit as well! Empty Diodon installed but simple update notifier automatically installed clipit as well!

Post by davecs 11th June 2024, 6:20 pm

Diodon installed but simple update notifier automatically installed clipit as well!
Upgreyed
Upgreyed
Admin

Diodon installed but simple update notifier automatically installed clipit as well! Empty Re: Diodon installed but simple update notifier automatically installed clipit as well!

Post by Upgreyed 11th June 2024, 8:15 pm

davecs wrote:Diodon installed but simple update notifier automatically installed clipit as well!
I don't know what is going on with Diodon as it supposedly depreciates Clipit. Not my doing but someone should have made two separate packages
or just removed Clipit all together from the Debian repo. I updated Clipit to the latest but that still is going to pull in Diodon as that is a upstream fix to
completely remove Clipit from the software repository.
davecs

Diodon installed but simple update notifier automatically installed clipit as well! Empty Re: Diodon installed but simple update notifier automatically installed clipit as well!

Post by davecs 12th June 2024, 4:55 am

What happened precisely was: My browser of choice is Vivaldi. It's not in the Debian repository, so I have to install it from a deb file. The deb file is not the latest, and installing it adds Vivaldi's own repo to synaptic, so straight away I get a notification to run an update. This update causes clipit to be installed. Wtf? Not sure what's wrong with clipit, at least its icon in the system tray looks appropriate. You wouldn't look at the Diodon icon and think "clipboard", would you?

I've looked at Cinnamon and thought it's an attractive desktop, but came with Mint and systemd. The more I experiment with it, the less I like it. I might try something else. How about the Deepin desktop without Deepin?
Upgreyed
Upgreyed
Admin

Post by Upgreyed 12th June 2024, 7:22 am

davecs wrote:What happened precisely was: My browser of choice is Vivaldi. It's not in the Debian repository, so I have to install it from a deb file. The deb file is not the latest, and installing it adds Vivaldi's own repo to synaptic, so straight away I get a notification to run an update. This update causes clipit to be installed. Wtf? Not sure what's wrong with clipit, at least its icon in the system tray looks appropriate. You wouldn't look at the Diodon icon and think "clipboard", would you?

I've looked at Cinnamon and thought it's an attractive desktop, but came with Mint and systemd. The more I experiment with it, the less I like it. I might try something else. How about the Deepin desktop without Deepin?
Notification to run an update removed. Vivaldi's repo removed. Vivaldi-stable has been added to the repo, also it shouldn't effect Clipit either.
davecs

Post by davecs 12th June 2024, 12:29 pm

Upgreyed wrote:
Notification to run an update removed. Vivaldi's repo removed. Vivaldi-stable has been added to the repo, also it shouldn't effect Clipit either.

No, I don't suppose for a moment that installing Vivaldi affected clipit. Maybe the simple update notifier is the culprit. Or maybe the fact that clipit and diodon exclude each other via the dependencies was the problem. Looking at the relative sizes of clipit and diodon, I don't know why they interfere with each other in that way. It should be up to the user. One is lightweight, and has a name and icon that suggest its purpose. One is heavier, and the name and icon do not suggest its purpose. Strange that the Debian repos force us to use the latter.

Last edited by davecs on 12th June 2024, 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Upgreyed
Upgreyed
Admin

Post by Upgreyed 12th June 2024, 12:47 pm

davecs wrote:
Upgreyed wrote:

No, I don't suppose for a moment that installing Vivaldi affected clipit. Maybe the simple update notifier is the culprit. Or maybe the fact that clipit and diodon exclude each other via the dependencies was the problem. Looking at the relative sizes of clipit and diodon, I don't know why they interfere with each other in that way. It should be up to the user. One is lightweight, and has a name and icon that suggest its purpose. One is heavier, and the name and icon do not suggest its purpose. Strange that the Debian reps force us to use the latter.

Diodon needs it's own pkg and obsolete and provide for Clipit is the way it should have been packaged it the first place.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is 28th September 2024, 8:03 pm