Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters
  • Reply to topic

Super user issues

sling-shot
sling-shot

Super user issues Empty Super user issues

Post by sling-shot 19th July 2024, 12:30 am

I am unable to get commands to run as super user. For eg. I want to install refind bootloader. Using Synaptic I could get the refind package successfully installed. But on running refind-install it says command not found. Even for some admin level commands it says user not in sudo group.

If I type it in the su terminal as done in PCLinuxOS, it just says command not found but not that I do not have privilege. What is happening?
Upgreyed
Upgreyed
Admin

Super user issues Empty Re: Super user issues

Post by Upgreyed 19th July 2024, 7:57 am

sling-shot wrote:I am unable to get commands to run as super user. For eg. I want to install refind bootloader. Using Synaptic I could get the refind package successfully installed. But on running refind-install it says command not found. Even for some admin level commands it says user not in sudo group.

If I type it in the su terminal as done in PCLinuxOS, it just says command not found but not that I do not have privilege. What is happening?
You should be able to use
Code:
su -
To gain admin privileges. If you want to be in the sudo group you can use the user manager gui or edit the /etc/sudoers file as root add to line 48:
# User privilege specification
root  ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
sling-shot  ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
davecs

Post by davecs 19th July 2024, 4:08 pm

Here is a script that will mean that a user with admin status, which in PCLinuxOS Debian, means a member of the group sudo, will not be asked for a password when a command is preceded by pkexec. With some admin commands, special scripts are used which incorporate the pkexec, for example, synaptic-pkexec. In both cases, the admin user can carry out admin tasks directly. My recommendation is not to use this until you are clear what you are doing!

The script is called disable-passwords.pkla and must be placed in the folder /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/

Code:
[Do anything you want]
Identity=unix-group:sudo
Action=*
ResultActive=yes

The difference is that you precede commands with pkexec instead of sudo. However you have to add yourself to the group "sudo" which you achieve by making yourself an "Administrator" in the Users applet.
sling-shot
sling-shot

Post by sling-shot 19th July 2024, 11:30 pm

Upgreyed wrote:
sling-shot wrote:I am unable to get commands to run as super user. For eg. I want to install refind bootloader. Using Synaptic I could get the refind package successfully installed. But on running refind-install it says command not found. Even for some admin level commands it says user not in sudo group.

You should be able to use
Code:
su -
To gain admin privileges.

I think this is what I am looking for.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is 20th September 2024, 9:14 pm