Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters
  • Reply to topic

Desk top publishing — Scribus

davecs

Desk top publishing — Scribus Empty Desk top publishing — Scribus

Post by davecs 24th June 2024, 10:45 am

If you're also running Tex's PCLinuxOS on another computer or another partition, you'll find that Scribus is up to version 1.6.2. PCLOS Debian uses version 1.5.8, which is not even a stable version. Following an old tradition, largely abandoned by other projects, Scribus uses even subversions for Stable, and odd subversions for development branches. Knowing what is the latest version isn't always easy, because their web sites, wikis and so on, are often chaotic leaving a load of contradictory advice as to what is the latest version.

However, there is a way of getting version 1.6.2 here without Upgreyed having to do any work at all. Go to this link. From there you can download the file whose name ends in AppImage. It will run on any x86-64-based Linux, from any folder, and is totally self-contained, needing no dependencies. You might have to download a suitable icon, and find a way to put it on your menu. You can, if you wish, install scribus-template from synaptic to add a few templates, but it will work without them.

Obviously it's then down to you to keep a watch on the Scribus web site to keep abreast of updated versions.

A self-contained program held totally in one executable file. Reminds me of the old days!!
Upgreyed
Upgreyed
Admin

Desk top publishing — Scribus Empty Re: Desk top publishing — Scribus

Post by Upgreyed 24th June 2024, 12:25 pm

Tex's PCLinuxOS Scribus version 1.6.2 which is also an AppImage. He just converted it to a rpm probably as compiling it most likely fails.
I haven't tried to compile 1.6.2  as there might be a reason for it as even the unstable Debian version is still at version 1.5.8
davecs

Post by davecs 24th June 2024, 12:56 pm

Upgreyed wrote:Tex's PCLinuxOS Scribus version 1.6.2 which is also an AppImage. He just converted it to a rpm probably as compiling it most likely fails.
I haven't tried to compile 1.6.2  as there might be a reason for it as even the unstable Debian version is still at version 1.5.8

OK — well the image works perfectly for me.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G 11th July 2024, 10:42 am

davecs wrote: OK — well the image works perfectly for me.

And for me too. But Scribus is a bit difficult for me. I can make a decent looking newsletter but have to KISS. Would like to find something a bit easier.
https://alternativeto.net/

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is 28th September 2024, 8:08 pm