Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters
  • Reply to topic

A couple of nit-picks

davecs

A couple of nit-picks Empty A couple of nit-picks

Post by davecs 18th June 2024, 7:50 pm

Hi. Well I seem to spend more time logged into the PCLOS Debian KDE partition than my PCLOS Tex KDE partition right now. One reason is that the polkit hack that enables the admin user (in group sudo) to run things like synaptic-pkexec without a password, which doesn't work on PCLOS Tex, and what's more, it doesn't work on MX Linux either even though that's also based on Debian stable.

I'm left with two things that are not a big problem, but could indicate an error in the underlying OS, and may come back later to bite us on the bum (as we say in Britain).

tty1: If anyone logs in on the text screens tty1 to tty6 (accessed by pressing CTRL-ALT-F1 to F6), they ought to get a text-terminal log in. Graphics screens use terminals 7 and 8 but only via the desktop manager lightdm. But on the CTRL-ALT-F1 tty1 screen, it boots up to a graphics screen. If you try to log out from that graphics screen, it boots straight back into it. You are forced to reboot or shut down. Does anyone know how to stop that happening? tty1 should behave the same as the others, with the exception that a small number of messages from the bootup will remain on the screen, the other 5 text screens will be cleared.

Plymouth: Sometimes when rebooting or shutting down, Plymouth does not appear, it just closes out in text. I've managed to force Plymouth to appear, by copying the link S05plymouth /etc/rc5.d/ to both /etc/rc0.d and /etc/rc6.d but, in both cases, changing its name to K03plymouth. When I look at PCLOS Tex, and also at MX Linux, plymouth doesn't appear in the init scripts at all. Is there another way of dealing with it? I've also noticed that removing S05plymouth from /etc/rc5.d does not stop plymouth from running on bootup. All very strange.
davecs

A couple of nit-picks Empty Re: A couple of nit-picks

Post by davecs 18th June 2024, 8:20 pm

Actually I've thought again about Plymouth. It should not appear in the init scripts at all. It always runs on startup anyway. Sometimes it doesn't run on shutdown/reboot, but I can live with that. When it doesn't run on shutdown/reboot, it's normally a very fast shutdown, so maybe if I haven't started too many services.
Upgreyed
Upgreyed
Admin

Post by Upgreyed 18th June 2024, 10:01 pm

davecs wrote:Actually I've thought again about Plymouth. It should not appear in the init scripts at all. It always runs on startup anyway. Sometimes it doesn't run on shutdown/reboot, but I can live with that. When it doesn't run on shutdown/reboot, it's normally a very fast shutdown, so maybe if I haven't started too many services.

Plymouth shutdown works on most desktops and in Gnome Boxes most all of the time. It is a hit and miss on the live iso depending what machine you have. On my AMD machine it doesn't but maybe it shuts down too quick or the graphics card? But on my Intel machines it works. If it was working before you need to reinstall Plymouth, libplymouth5 as you can't just copy or create S05plymouth /etc/rc5.d/. Delete /etc/rc5.d/S05 and reinstall Plymouth, libplymouth5 Delete the unnecessary Plymouth files in  /etc/rc2.d/, /etc/rc3.d/, /etc/rc4.d/ they are not needed and see if it works for you to get it back.
Upgreyed
Upgreyed
Admin

Post by Upgreyed 18th June 2024, 11:50 pm

davecs wrote:But on the CTRL-ALT-F1 tty1 screen, it boots up to a graphics screen. If you try to log out from that graphics screen, it boots straight back into it. You are forced to reboot or shut down. Does anyone know how to stop that happening? tty1 should behave the same as the others, with the exception that a small number of messages from the bootup will remain on the screen, the other 5 text screens will be cleared.
CTRL-ALT-F2 will log you out without restarting and a startx will log you back in. Then a CTRL-ALT-F3 will log you out of the desktop again.
davecs

Post by davecs 19th June 2024, 11:48 am

Upgreyed wrote:
davecs wrote:Actually I've thought again about Plymouth. It should not appear in the init scripts at all. It always runs on startup anyway. Sometimes it doesn't run on shutdown/reboot, but I can live with that. When it doesn't run on shutdown/reboot, it's normally a very fast shutdown, so maybe if I haven't started too many services.

Plymouth shutdown works on most desktops and in Gnome Boxes most all of the time. It is a hit and miss on the live iso depending what machine you have. On my AMD machine it doesn't but maybe it shuts down too quick or the graphics card? But on my Intel machines it works. If it was working before you need to reinstall Plymouth, libplymouth5 as you can't just copy or create S05plymouth /etc/rc5.d/. Delete /etc/rc5.d/S05 and reinstall Plymouth, libplymouth5 Delete the unnecessary Plymouth files in  /etc/rc2.d/, /etc/rc3.d/, /etc/rc4.d/ they are not needed and see if it works for you to get it back.

I've removed S05plymouth etc from all rcn.d folders. It works OK. Sometimes doesn't show on Shutdown/Reboot. But that's not really an issue. I definitely think that it should not be in rc5.d or any other init folders.
davecs

Post by davecs 19th June 2024, 1:18 pm

Upgreyed wrote:
davecs wrote:But on the CTRL-ALT-F1 tty1 screen, it boots up to a graphics screen. If you try to log out from that graphics screen, it boots straight back into it. You are forced to reboot or shut down. Does anyone know how to stop that happening? tty1 should behave the same as the others, with the exception that a small number of messages from the bootup will remain on the screen, the other 5 text screens will be cleared.
CTRL-ALT-F2 will log you out without restarting and a startx will log you back in. Then a CTRL-ALT-F3 will log you out of the desktop again.  

CTRL-ALT-F2 does not log me out of the screen on CTRL-ALT-F1. It just takes me to a different screen. CTRL-ALT-F1 is still logged in as a graphics screen. Running startx in CTRL-ALT-F3 gives me a graphics screen on CTRK-ALT-F3. If I log out if comes back to the terminal. As it should do. My issue is that, on CTRL-ALT-F1, if you try to log into the terminal, it automatically logs into X. If you log out from that particular instance of X, it logs back in automatically. What I am saying is that logging in on CTRL-ALT-F1 should not automatically start a graphics screen.
Upgreyed
Upgreyed
Admin

Post by Upgreyed 19th June 2024, 5:33 pm

I am looking into it but no solution for CTRL-ALT-F1 as of yet. But I do have a solution for the shutdown/reboot plymouth splash
Edit /etc/init.d/plymouth
Add to line 56
Code:
# Force the shutdown/reboot splash
chvt 1 && /usr/sbin/plymouthd --mode=shutdown
davecs

Post by davecs 20th June 2024, 5:13 am

Yes. Re the tty1 problem, I've been searching the internet and every hit I get is trying to solve a different problem.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is 29th June 2024, 6:09 am