Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters
  • Reply to topic

Deepin desktop?

davecs

Deepin desktop? Empty Deepin desktop?

Post by davecs 16th June 2024, 7:50 pm

Deepin is a Chinese distro based on Debian. I have tried running it live, but too many things wouldn't work. Including the built-in internet browser. However, it does feature a really attractive desktop, also called Deepin.

I've now tried all the desktops supplied with PCLOS Debian. I really like KDE. XFCE is OK, but it's "covered" by MX Linux and they have made a plain desktop very nice and functional. Cinnamon, MATE and Budgie are (obviously my opinion only) awful. Everything I try to do to improve the layout, or add a function that I want, something seems to stop me! I really gave Cinnamon a go, it looks lovely, but now I've given up with it.

But as the Deepin desktop is based on deb packages, I wonder if we could have a PCLOS Debian edition to try out?
Upgreyed
Upgreyed
Admin

Deepin desktop? Empty Re: Deepin desktop?

Post by Upgreyed 16th June 2024, 8:54 pm

davecs wrote:But as the Deepin desktop is based on deb packages, I wonder if we could have a PCLOS Debian edition to try out?
From just what I have heard it works well for the Deepin developers own distribution but others tried and say it is quite buggy just adding a Deepin desktop.
I am not sure if it is a good alternative or not?
davecs

Post by davecs 17th June 2024, 4:08 am

After my brief experience running Deepin live, it was buggy and important things didn't work. If it's more buggy when using the desktop on a different base, then I agree with you, it's not worth the effort.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is 28th September 2024, 7:55 pm