Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters
  • Reply to topic

Cinnamon — Printer configuration

davecs

Cinnamon — Printer configuration Empty Cinnamon — Printer configuration

Post by davecs 29th May 2024, 3:27 pm

Sorry I popped this in on the thread about wallpaper, but it should be separate.

The last cinnamon iso I downloaded did not have system-config-printer installed. You've got a nice applet for selecting a particular printer driver, but maybe they should all be dependent on system-config-printer because you need that to set defaults for the printer and test it.

I have a Brother MFC-J5335DW printer, and I find that the auto-detected printer never works properly. Brother provide a script to install the drivers from their site. But without system-config-printer, I can't disable the "wrong" one, and I can't set the right one to work with A4 as default, it defaults to American size paper. I think it should be included as standard.
nobody
nobody

Cinnamon — Printer configuration Empty Re: Cinnamon — Printer configuration

Post by nobody 1st June 2024, 12:27 am

How about if you remove and reinstall the printer using manual selection?

Edit: Printer driver from Brother´s site.

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=de&lang=de&prod=mfcj5335dw_eu&os=128&flang=English
davecs

Post by davecs 1st June 2024, 8:50 am

nobody wrote:How about if you remove and reinstall the printer using manual selection?

Edit: Printer driver from Brother´s site.

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=de&lang=de&prod=mfcj5335dw_eu&os=128&flang=English

It feels odd, speaking to Mr Nobody!

Anyway, that is not my problem. What happens with my printer, and I suspect many others, is that it is autodetected and installed in some sort of Driverless mode, however this "printer" doesn't work properly. If I delete it (which requires system-config-printer in any case), it simply reappears. I then install the working printer using a script from the Brother site, and system-config-printer then shows that I have TWO printers. No amount of uninstalling and installing printer drivers can get around this.

Finally, I use system-config-printer to mark the "wrong" one as Not Enabled, and the "correct" one as Default, and also adjust its default settings, i.e., paper size A4.

All I am asking is that system-config-printer should be on the iso as standard. I believe that it was on the KDE iso that I also installed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is 29th June 2024, 6:19 am