Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters
  • Reply to topic

May I take a ride on your train?

Nish
Nish

May I take a ride on your train? Empty May I take a ride on your train?

Post by Nish 20th May 2024, 10:54 am

PCLOS was my mainstay for a long, long time. First, I found Big Daddy and PCLOS became my daily ride for quite a few years maybe a decade. Before that I had cut my teeth on Knoppix then Debian SID both on my own or using Kanotix and then Siddux.

Well...life intervened and for a few years I didn't have the hardware or the time to devote to troubleshooting in linux and wound up with a laptop with windows 10 UEFI (laptop does have legacy mode) and PCLOS at the time just wouldn't run on that lone machine of mine in UEFI or legacy mode. So I went over to the darkside of a buntu. Hey, Deb girls don't sudo, damnit but I neutered it best I could and ran that way past its support ending. I went looking around  to see what is out there now.  Got back into PCLOS (trinity for KDE nostalgia) last year.

Cut to the chase - I now PCLOS Deb cinnamon has been running on my extra SSD external because shortly after I went back to PCLOS, synaptic was crashing without rhyme or reason (apt worked just fine but I like the features of synaptic) in KDE5 and Trinity.  There are posts over yonder in other PCLOS forum about it. So I saw PCLOS DE had a cinnamon flavor and gave it a whirl with a home on my external SSD.

I just downloaded your plasma version plopped it on my ventoy USB and the live iso has no synaptic problems. I am probably going to install it over the cinnamon flavor any day now.

Oh, life intervening - I am in a nursing home basically because I am now homeless, crippled and have stage 3 cancer. Not looking for sympathy Mad  Hard to explain to folks not in the US but this is how it is over here. So wind up in the street or waste away in dark corner of nursing home. I play/tweak my four linux installs and browse the internet.  I don't game anymore because the free wifi at facility where I am is very slow speed like dialup and I lose due to disconnects when trying to play.

Just please understand that though I lack most tangible resources I want to keep my connection (literally and figuratively) with the linux community and the outside world as long as I can.

I am sure I will be posting questions soon enough once I get this plasma version installed. scratch Cinnamon has been fine but my main driver is LM Cinnamon and my only KDE install at the moment is Debian (SID, yeah I know I know but it has had a few updates and is remarkably stable for SID) on KDE 5 which will probably break catastrophically when it goes to 6. I like to diversify the risk by having several different installs to kind of future-proof myself as long as this hardware holds out.  8 yr old laptop - who knows?

Cheers
Upgreyed
Upgreyed
Admin

May I take a ride on your train? Empty Re: May I take a ride on your train?

Post by Upgreyed 20th May 2024, 12:02 pm

Nish,

You are welcome here anytime! Thanks for trying out the PCLinuxOS alternatives. No pressure here just relax and enjoy your stay. The reason for the split forum was because some folks over at the main forum was posting out of sync and made posts confusing for some users.

Tex and I discussed the matter and decided to add this forum to stop the confusion on the main forum. We are all the same here as most everybody here has been a member for many years at the main forum including myself. Smile
nobody
nobody

Post by nobody 21st May 2024, 2:46 am

I have used PCLOS more or less from year 2010. I started from Red Hat and I have used very many different distros. Nowadays I prefer non-systemd distros, because they are simpler and much easier to control than systemd-hell distros.
tbs
tbs

Post by tbs 21st May 2024, 7:30 am

Nish,
I wouldn't bet that the transition to KDE Plasma 6 will be so catastrophic as it was at the times of KDE 4, which is now many, many years ago. I followed quite a KDE few developers, and believe me, they've taken that experience to heart.

I have Plasma 6 (KDE Neon distro) on a separate partition, just to get acquainted with it for when the time comes for us, and I have to say, I'm happily surprised. And from what I read, so are many other users.

Whatever path you take, I'm sure you'll take the right one. And if you have any questions, rest assured that we're here for you  May I take a ride on your train? 1f609
Nish
Nish

Post by Nish 24th May 2024, 8:22 am

tbs wrote:Nish,
I wouldn't bet that the transition to KDE Plasma 6 will be so catastrophic as it was at the times of KDE 4, which is now many, many years ago. I followed quite a KDE few developers, and believe me, they've taken that experience to heart.

I have Plasma 6 (KDE Neon distro) on a separate partition, just to get acquainted with it for when the time comes for us, and I have to say, I'm happily surprised. And from what I read, so are many other users.

Whatever path you take, I'm sure you'll take the right one. And if you have any questions, rest assured that we're here for you  May I take a ride on your train? 1f609

Thanks all for the welcome. And I have now installed PCLOS DE plasma over dearly departed SID on the internal.  It wasn't 6 that actually killed SID - they haven't got it yet. I knew when I saw the last update of libraries it was gonna remove KDE but let it go anyway. If you love something let it go...right?

I might install Neon over the PCLOS DE cinnamon on the external. It is just the amount of updates with Neon ties this laptop up for hours on this connection.  My manjaro is the stable version XFCE but I see the posts of the ones running KDE - 6 hit them last week or so?  I am a total newb with arch so XFCE is fine for me to play around in without the plasma 6 hassle.  I had a career of beta testing, bug reporting, all nighters with config files, occasionally helping, etc.  I am officially retired and just want it to work (and look nice).

Y'all got my back with my KDE 5 to dress up, right? Expect monthly screenshots from me bounce

tbs likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is 29th June 2024, 6:35 am