Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters
  • Reply to topic

Control Center

nobody
nobody

Control Center Empty Control Center

Post by nobody 16th May 2024, 11:14 pm

With Control Center is a kind of problem that there has too many dependecies, so for example if you remove grub customer, Control Center will be removed also. Maybe less dependecies would be a better solution?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Control Center Empty Re: Control Center

Post by Admin 17th May 2024, 6:18 am

nobody wrote:With Control Center is a kind of problem that there has too many dependencies, so for example if you remove grub customer, Control Center will be removed also. Maybe less dependencies would be a better solution?
True, but it is part of the Control Center and what to replace it with? The only alternative is to remove it from the Control Center menu or a really bad choice is to package it in with the Control Center. Do you have any suggestions on what to do with it?
nobody
nobody

Post by nobody 17th May 2024, 10:13 am

Just take of grub customizer from Control Center deb-package dependecies. To make a new Control Center deb-package.
Upgreyed
Upgreyed
Admin

Post by Upgreyed 17th May 2024, 10:28 am

nobody wrote:Just take of grub customizer from Control Center deb-package dependecies. To make a new Control Center deb-package.
All the setting category is a separate application from the Control Center so removing those there is no need of the Control Center to even exist.
Upgreyed
Upgreyed
Admin

Post by Upgreyed 17th May 2024, 11:02 am

Upgreyed wrote:
nobody wrote:Just take of grub customizer from Control Center deb-package dependecies. To make a new Control Center deb-package.
All the setting category is a separate application from the Control Center so removing those there is no need of the Control Center to even exist.
One alternative is to add a popup when the bootloader button is clicked to say installing "grub-customizer..Wait!" Then I can remove grub-customizer from the dependencies.

Is this a real issue as no one but you has made a complaint. If others think it is then I will rewrite it. Wink
nobody
nobody

Post by nobody 17th May 2024, 11:40 am

I made "nobody" version from PCLOS Debian Control Center and it works fine without grub customizer, Smile

Control Center Nobody10
Upgreyed
Upgreyed
Admin

Post by Upgreyed 17th May 2024, 12:48 pm

nobody wrote:I made "nobody" version from PCLOS Debian Control Center and it works fine without grub customizer, Smile

Control Center Nobody10

And what about the Control Center button? When clicked if grub-customizer is not installed what will happen? Question      
Control Center Screen15
nobody
nobody

Post by nobody 17th May 2024, 11:05 pm

Grub Customizer entry does nothing, because it has not installed.
Upgreyed
Upgreyed
Admin

Post by Upgreyed 17th May 2024, 11:09 pm

nobody wrote:Grub Customizer entry does nothing, because it has not installed.
There you go! That's what I am talking about...No workie! Laughing
nobody
nobody

Post by nobody 17th May 2024, 11:20 pm

Grub Customizer can be a headache if you are multibooting. Rolling Eyes
Upgreyed
Upgreyed
Admin

Post by Upgreyed 18th May 2024, 2:42 pm

The PCLinuxOS Control Center has been updated. Now you have a choice to install:
pclos-control-center
Is the default install

pclos-control-center-nd
Description: This package uses the basic apps with optional ND "No dependencies"
it allows the user to install selected apps in the PCLinuxOS Control Center.

nobody likes this post

davecs

Post by davecs 23rd June 2024, 5:40 am

I was wondering... about the "ghost printer" issue.
https://pclosdebian.forumgratuit.ro/t79-ghost-printers-and-how-to-exorcise-them

Would it be possible to add this solution to the control center? Most home users will want their printer to be autodetected and driverless, but owners of printers where this system results in printers that don't work (eg Brother) can uncheck a box and use the manufacturer's driver instead.

Upgreyed
Upgreyed
Admin

Post by Upgreyed 23rd June 2024, 11:08 am

davecs wrote:I was wondering... about the "ghost printer" issue.
https://pclosdebian.forumgratuit.ro/t79-ghost-printers-and-how-to-exorcise-them

Would it be possible to add this solution to the control center? Most home users will want their printer to be autodetected and driverless, but owners of printers where this system results in printers that don't work (eg Brother) can uncheck a box and use the manufacturer's driver instead.
I added this printer option and others in the updated printer-installer.
davecs

Post by davecs 23rd June 2024, 1:55 pm

Upgreyed wrote:
I added this printer option and others in the updated printer-installer.

Tested. When you choose to go back to using autodetected drivers, avahi isn't restarted so you have to reboot for it to take effect.

When you choose to use the manufacturer's driver, it doesn't do anything. The "enable-dbus" line in avahi-daemon.conf wasn't fixed, and even though I had the Brother printer driver installed, it told me that it couldn't find one.
Upgreyed
Upgreyed
Admin

Post by Upgreyed 23rd June 2024, 3:54 pm

davecs wrote:
Tested. When you choose to go back to using autodetected drivers, avahi isn't restarted so you have to reboot for it to take effect.

When you choose to use the manufacturer's driver, it doesn't do anything. The "enable-dbus" line in avahi-daemon.conf wasn't fixed, and even though I had the Brother printer driver installed, it told me that it couldn't find one.

Okay let me fix all that and upload a new pkg!
davecs

Post by davecs 23rd June 2024, 7:08 pm

Upgreyed wrote:

Okay let me fix all that and upload a new pkg!

Sorry I can't make sense of what this applet is trying to do.

Can you describe step by step what this is trying to do? All the options to load various drivers are covered elsewhere on other tabs. I'm not sure of what is needed to install a printer these days, as I've been using only Brother printers for years now.

What I require is that CUPS is installed, avahi does not have dbus enabled, and curl is installed. Also I don't need cups-browsed or it should be disabled. Then I can run the script from the Brother site to install my printer/scanner.

It's up to me to do that. Installing CUPS automatically pulls in avahi-daemon, and cups-browsed though you can uninstall the latter with no ill effects on the rest of CUPS. I also need to install system-config-printer in order to set the system defaults, such as paper size.

All I want your applet to do is to provide a simple tick box to turn avahi on or off. I'm going to bed now and I'm tired. I'll expand on what I mean when I've had some sleep. Maybe even draw a diagram....
davecs

Post by davecs 24th June 2024, 8:36 am

OK I now have version 1.0.3-4, and its working seems a little more logical. It does set the relevant line in /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf correctly, but it doesn't restart the daemon (/etc/init.d/avahi-daemon restart). Just add that before the program exits, and you're there.
Upgreyed
Upgreyed
Admin

Post by Upgreyed 24th June 2024, 9:09 am

davecs wrote:OK I now have version 1.0.3-4, and its working seems a little more logical. It does set the relevant line in /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf correctly, but it doesn't restart the daemon (/etc/init.d/avahi-daemon restart). Just add that before the program exits, and you're there.
I had to do all this without any printing hardware setup as I do have a printer in storage but in reality I haven't a real need for it in years gone by.
Of course it has to work for others also and not just for your personal setup. I have to please others in the thought process so it took awhile to get there,
Thanks for testing! Cool
davecs

Post by davecs 25th June 2024, 9:52 am

Upgreyed wrote:
I had to do all this without any printing hardware setup as I do have a printer in storage but in reality I haven't a real need for it in years gone by.
Of course it has to work for others also and not just for your personal setup. I have to please others in the thought process so it took awhile to get there,
Thanks for testing! Cool

OK — I've tested 3 things. From the "Printer Options" tab, "Would you like to use the manufacturer's driver instead?"

YES — the next box shows the option to disable dbus and whatever you select, it fully works. /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf is correctly updated and avahi restarted.

NO — Now in my case, none of the printer options are correct. so I leave all the boxes unchecked and select OK. If avahi-daemon.conf was set to allow dbus access, all well and good, but if it was not, then avahi-daemon.conf is corrected to allow dbus access, but avahi isn't restarted so the change isn't made until the next reboot.

————————————————————————

I'm not sure about whether the printer-installer app goes about it the right way. Surely if the "driverless printer" detected by avahi works properly, you just need to install cups and system-config-printer. If the "avahi" printer doesn't work (to your requirements), or none can be found, then (and only then) you will need to install opensource drivers from the printer-installer app. You may also want avahi switched off in order to prevent it adding printers that don't work? System-config-printer can then be used to add your printer. Lastly, if there is no suitable opensource driver, you have to go to the manufacturer's web site and see whether they do a Linux driver.

The third tab asking whether I would like to use the manufacturer's driver is superfluous in any case. All you need is a check-box to determine whether or not avahi will be enabled.
Upgreyed
Upgreyed
Admin

Post by Upgreyed 25th June 2024, 10:07 am

davecs wrote:
NO — Now in my case, none of the printer options are correct. so I leave all the boxes unchecked and select OK. If avahi-daemon.conf was set to allow dbus access, all well and good, but if it was not, then avahi-daemon.conf is corrected to allow dbus access, but avahi isn't restarted so the change isn't made until the next reboot.
This when selected sets it back to default in avahi-daemon.conf and the standard option is allowed to use the repo driver.
The delete option removes everything to include cups, system-config-printer and all repo drivers installed.
davecs

Post by davecs 27th June 2024, 5:29 pm

Got there in the end. I removed all the printer drivers, cups, printer control, and used Brother's scripts to remove their drivers, and started again using Printer Installer. I went straight to the 3rd tab, and selected the option to use the manufacturer's driver, and then to disable dbus. Then I re-installed the printer drivers from the script supplied by Brother and all is good.Thanks. I might add a help topic somewhere about Brother Printer-Scanner devices, especially as the scanning buttons on the front panel can be made to work in Linux, if the user knows what to do!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is 29th June 2024, 6:37 am